For the person who has not been in the external job market for some time, knowing what agenda items may be covered in an interview can be useful.
Although there can be many variations, you can expect to cover these basic points at the very minimum:
- Introduce yourself and your background (best in less than two minutes).
- State your purpose/reason for looking for a position in a succinct, positive manner.
- Inquire about the job description and requirements.
- Answer the questions positively, in a way that gains the interviewer’s respect and interest and ask the questions you prepared.
- State what you can do for the firm. Find an opportunity to highlight this if it is not asked or addressed directly.
- Affirm why you should be hired. Be ready with concise facts and accomplishments.